Biotechnology is a complex and interdisciplinary world that goes beyond the core disciplines of biology and chemistry and even medicine. Extraordinary developments are seen happening in the field, by the day – including personalized medicine, gene therapy, industrial disease treatment, and even hazardous waste control. The field of biotechnology is growing fast and the demand for biotech professionals is ever increasing. After a degree in Biotechnology, there are many doors that will open for you. In the US alone, the biotechnology industry is a major economic driver and many other countries are following close on its heels.
The best careers you can expect in the biotechnology industry.
Biotechnology has applications in many industries, so professionals can choose to work for a variety of organizations, including government agencies, private companies, regulatory bodies, or clinical laboratories. They can work for start-ups to global pharmaceutical leaders to Government-funded organizations such as the Department of Agriculture and National Institutes of Health and similar.
Biotech graduates can make careers in the following types of organizations:
- Biotechnology industries
- Bio-pharmaceutical industry
- Research and Development labs
- Agriculture, Horticulture and Dairy Industries
- Tissue culture labs
- Healthcare data management
- Medical Equipment Companies
- Laboratory Chemicals/Reagents Companies
- Food testing Laboratories
- Quality assurance/regulatory affairs
- Clinical research
- Government (policymaking)
- Software engineering
- Food, animal, and environmental science
- Sales and technical support
- Business management
- Project management
Biotech graduates are absorbed in different roles that read like these: biomedical engineer, bio chemist, medical scientist, biological/clinical technician, microbiologist, process development scientist, biomanufacturing specialist, business development manager and even director of product strategy and commercialization.
What you will learn.
The curriculum is well developed to suit the demands and needs of the industry. The pedagogy is a mix of theory and practical application that trains students in the ways of real world working. Students at MAHE Dubai will study basics to subjects like cell biology, sustainability science, genetics, molecular biology, biophysics, embryology, plant biotech, cell and tissue engineering, bioinformatics, nano biotechnology, advance genomics and more.
Upon successful completion of their program at MAHE Dubai, the students will:
- Get an overall exposure to various aspects of Biotechnology and its applications
- Understand the potential of Biotechnology through knowledge of Medicine, Environment, Agriculture and Bioinformatics
- Develop various laboratory skill sets required to be a successful Biotechnologist
The MAHE Dubai advantage
- Modern classrooms with Wi-Fi internet connectivity, projection systems – omit
- Approximately 1,200 square meters of laboratory space which is well-equipped with state-of-the-art scientific instruments
- Advanced laboratory facilities for Molecular Biology, Cytogenetic-Microscopy and Imaging, Cell and Tissue Engineering
- The state-of-the-art laboratory facilities are equipped with Biotechnology based lab equipment
- Frequent field visits to industries and conferences are part of the learning process
- Students present their research work at regional seminars and are encouraged to attend workshops and training in higher level skills
- Group assignments to inculcate skills to work in a team
- Advantage of strategic tie-ups like Free Coursera subscription for 1 Year
Before you embark on your biotechnology journey, see that your bio has the following:
You must have passed 10+2, A level, IB, American 12th grade or equivalent and the two years of such study comprising Physics, Chemistry, English and Biology with a minimum of 50% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
All the best!